Monday, March 5, 2012

Tote bag

Can I just say...I dislike working with stripes!! Maybe I'm missing some important step when it comes to stripes. I don't know, whatever it is I really must figure it out!

That being said, I'm loving the tote bag I just made for my son Marcus! He's been needing a bag for when we go on short weekend trips, so I thought this bag would be the perfect one for him.

And yes, I used striped material. I got a great deal on the fabric. A few weeks back I went antique shopping down town. Tucked back in the corner was this fabric. It's not antique fabric, but it was a great price and I couldn't pass it up. Any time I'm out shopping I keep my eyes open for remnants. You never know where you'll find them or when they might come in handy.


This bag was a fun project, minus the stripe trouble, and in the end turned out so cute! I love being able to sew things for 1/3 of what I'd buy it for in the stores. Besides the fact that it is so fun to get creative! The jean pocket I cut off of an old pair of Marcus' pants and used red stitching to pull in the red stitching on the bigger pocket.


And just in time for his birthday! 7 years have flown by way to fast!

I'm hitting the thrift store in a few days! Can't wait to see what deals I'll find. I also have a worn out corduroy jacket I'm dying to repurpose. So stay tuned for more exciting projects!

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! Love how you used the pocket from his jeans.
    Now I can see what you mean about the stripes. There is no trick that I know of...just practice. Matching patterns is not easy, especially when they are small stripes. Next time you are at a retail store take a look at the seams of something striped and see how well they did. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! :) practice makes perfect! Can't wait for some lessons! ;)

    ReplyDelete