Friday, March 9, 2012

Nursery makeover

I've known for a while that Anastasia's room needed some help. She's now getting into and climbing on top of everything, so almost nothing is safe. Yesterday I walked into her room and saw this!
Something had to change! Here is where her changing area used to be.
sorry for the poor quality picture
For starters, I never bought a changing table. I just put her changing pad on the window seat. It's a little low, but it worked great and saved me money. However, now that she can get on top of the window seat, it's no longer a safe place for things like wipes. It's just way to much fun to pull those wipes out one by one.


In her room is this great built in desk/dresser. Unfortunately the desk is just a bit to small to put the changing pad on. I had several options:

#1 spend a few dollars to make a new changing pad,
#2 make the one I already had work for my space.

I liked option #2 since it was the cheapest and I wouldn't have to spend all the time to figure out how to make a new one. Ok, so maybe I was being a bit lazy. haahaa I got out my handy little seam ripper and ripped out the seam then cut down the padding by 3 inches. I tucked it back in and voila! New changing pad!


The diapers and wipes are now safe on top of the dresser next to the diaper dumper, which has also been a fun place for her to dispose of, so magically, her little toys! Insert toy, push the handle down, and it's gone! Yes, hours of fun. Heaven help me when she figures out how to crawl up there!

I also had some organizational issues. Her ever increasing amount of toys I put under the desk.


As you can see, they over flow out of that little basket and are so easily dumped all over the floor. Besides the fact that the toy area would now be in my way when I change her diaper. Her room has these great drawers under the window seat where the changing area used to be.


I had a few things in them, but nothing that couldn't be moved to a better place. I moved all her toys in one drawer and all her stuffed animals in the other and a few other toys in the last one.


What a difference this had made! Yes, she still pulls her toys out, but it isn't as easy now. And even when she does pull them all out, they all fit back into the drawer so nicely, not just stuffed in the corner under the desk as before.

What do you think?

New diaper changing station!
With a little rearranging, and a small adjustment to the changing pad I have an all new room that is more functional and will be much easier to clean up after the little person has been running wild in it.

Happy weekend! 

6 comments:

  1. Very nice!!! You did a great job and I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) and thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work, You are a wonderful Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! You just made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss you and reading this just reminded me all the more. 6 weeks left give or take till we welcome our firstborn. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss you too! Can't wait to see pics of your little guy!! So excited for you! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete