Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Basagna

Wow!  The house sure smelled good yesterday!  My mom baked bread while I cooked lunch.  Lasagna was on the menu.  Marcus insists that it sounds better if we call it basagna.  LOL  I got Marcus in the kitchen mashing the tofu and cutting the zucchini.  I'm realizing that he needs to help me more with the cooking.  He really enjoys it and it keeps him busy.  He helped me assemble the "basagna".

I pretty much did my own thing.  I used a recipe as a guideline, but added my own twists to it.  We are trying our best to eat more whole wheat things and take out the refined pastas, white flour, white rice and such.  So our lasagna was made with whole wheat noodles. They were actually quite good!  I find I can go longer periods of time between meals if I eat whole grain foods.  I found I didn't really even need a 3rd meal in the evening, so I just had a salad for supper.

These are my layers, mashed seasoned tofu, sautéed onions with zucchini and veggie burger crumbles, and then the home made tomato sauce.  This is the sauce I make for pasta, or pizza.  It is sooo good! 
Marcus helped me layer it
It was quite easy.  It still needs some work though.  Since I don't use dairy, I have to work a bit harder to make the flavor just right.  It's coming along though!
Again, since I'm going off of a weekly menu I was able to have everything I need for this recipe and start working on it early in my morning so I could have it done by lunch. 

 Oh, almost forgot about these yummy zucchinis!  Just sautéed them with garlic and onion powder, and dried basil and oregano.
Here's the finished product.  A very yummy nutritious lunch.  And we get it again for lunch today since we have so much left over.  Hurray for leftovers!!

But this is what really made the house smell good...My mom's bread!  It's the best ever!!  It's the softest, tastiest home made bread I think I've ever had.  






     

3 comments:

  1. I was privileged to eat the finished product. It was FANTASTIC! Elizabeth is a great cook. You have a knack for making food tasty Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could have been there to eat it with you.

    ReplyDelete