Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bags!

Ahhhh fabric! My new favorite best friend. And don't get me started on the fabric store! The thought almost makes me giddy. Last Friday, my dear husband watched the kids while I ran to Jo-Ann fabrics. Seeing all those stacks of fabric made my mind spin with possibilities! Oh and to top it all off I had a gift card from my awesome sister to use! I bought up the store! What fun! And NO kids! I felt so bad for all the other mothers in there with screaming kids in tow. So I found two adorable fabrics to make tote bags for Anastasia and her cousin Adriana. Can't wait to show you the finished product.
For now you'll have to settle with the tote bag I made for Marcus last week. My aunt sent me some fabric she found at the thrift shop. It looked like it had been a curtain once upon a time, but the fabric is still in like new condition! I'm sooo in love with the finished product! I didn't use a pattern so I had a lot more leeway for my own creativity to come out. With a bit of leftover fabric I even made him a little coin purse to go with it.
The bag
The button and clasp on the top of the bag
coin purse
Since making the bag for Marcus out of used curtain fabric, this idea of recycling fabric has been swimming around in my head. So while I was at the fabric store on Friday I found a book on just that idea! All about reusing anything and everything to make cool bags! (And don't get me started on the discount I got on it! Haahaa) So with this in mind, I've been looking at everything in a new light! The shirt that has a stain on the front, but the fabric is still good, or those pair of jeans that lost the button, besides they don't fit well any more. I work for my dad as a dental assistant. I was sitting there assisting with an orthodontic procedure when I noticed that the girl in the chair had a cute shirt on! Suddenly it hit me that her shirt would make a cute purse! Don't worry, I didn't ask her for it, I figured that would just be to unprofessional. So, needless to say, I'll be hitting up the thrift store as soon as I get an extra minute or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment